Counteract Seasonal Effective Disorder (SAD) or a simple case of winter blues with a few changes to your diet and lifestyle during winter:
1. Increase mood enhancing foods such as eggs, yoghurt, avocado, oily fish, brazil nuts, walnuts, dark chocolate, lentils and leafy greens.
2. Maintain your water intake. Dehydration can cause moodiness, irritability, lethargy and reduced motivation.
3. Exercise regularly. Studies have shown that daily exercise is a natural antidepressant.
4. Get your vitamin D by spending at least 30 minutes in natural sunlight 4 times a week.
5. Counteract negative self talk by focusing on the pleasures of winter such as:
Christmas in July
Sitting by the fire
Listening to the rain
Drinking tea, coffee or hot chocolate
Eating comfort food such as soups and casseroles.
Seasonal changes such as bare trees and green grass
The soft and warm textures of your favourite quilt, blanket or jumper